RE: coredump

>The previous time was just before I sent you a copy of my changes to
>date (about a week ago?) on the documentation.  I recompiled and ran a
>short standard game before I sent the changes.

That was on July 10, so it would appear to rule out most of the recent
tcltk interface updates (including the name-ersing code) which were checked
in on July 8. The only changes after that are AI hacks in the kernel, and a
modification to the tcltk world map outline drawing code. Which is unlikely
to be the culprit (see below).

>I tried running the standard game, empire, and old empire.  I get the
>start dialog, where I select "New Game", then the game selection dialog.
>I chose the game, and get the first option dialog.  When I click on
>"OK", and get the core dump.

I checked all three games again, and they run fine under Linux. So this is
a Solaris-specific problem. The fact that you crash in the image drawing
code (the tcl "imfsample" command) when you bring up the player list
suggests to me that it is the drawing of the flags that fails. It could of
course reflect a more general image drawing problem since this is the first
time that "imfsample" is called during startup.

It can't be a problem in the map drawing code, which is what all the recent
tcltk changes have been about. The map does not even exist when you crash.

>I'm running on Solaris 8, with the gcc compiler. The Tcl/Tk may have
>been compiled with Workshop 6, I'll have to check on that.

I suggest you make sure you have the most recent version of tcltk (8.3.4).
If you still see the crashes, it would be very helpful if you could check
out a few different versions of the CVS tree (July 5, July 10 and July 15)
to try to narrow down exactly when the problem appeared. There is little I
can do at this end without a Solaris box :-/.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se