AI is a pushover & UI

Ok - riddle me this - is there any way to make the AI in this (either
machine player) a bit of a tougher opponent?  Right now I can pretty
much clobber the bejezzus out of it, one infantry unit tied behind my
back.

In other news, is anyone updating the UI, or interested in doing so?
The one there right now is definitely functional, but I think we could
reclaim more space for the center map and make it look a bit more
'smooth'.  Some ideas:
1) Add a title bar to the top of the unit, players and world map panes;
2) Add a bit more info on who/what is in a cell to the info display at
the top;
3) Put the command buttons (the ones off to the far left of the screen)
into a squarish arrangement (there's an odd number of elements...) and
put it to the left of the info about the selected unit;
4) Bring the scrolling 'message' pane down to the right of the info
about the selected unit so it occupies 1/2 of that area.  I assume that
lines would wrap if they were very long, but it seems like the messages
displayed here are mostly short;
5) Add a thin border to the map that the mouse has to be in to scroll
that way.  Also  add a delay of, say 1/2 a second before movement
(right now, I find it'll scroll whenever I move my mouse across the
pane - a little annoying - and I discovered this feature by accident
the first time I played);