Re: XConq design tools

>Been looking through the hacking manuals for XConq. From what I can tell
>the only way to manipulate rules or data used by XConq is through text
>files is that right? Meaning there is no standalone design tools.  I'd be
>interested in setting up some tools if that was the case.  Preferrably on
>a Windows platform, I could probably pull of an SDL or
>X11 version if it would benefit alot of people. I'm guessing the majority
>of XConq developers are not big Microsoft users?

You are right about the last point, though a lot of users ask for Windows
binaries :-).

As for design tools, both the tcltk and mac interfaces have sophisticated
design tools that you can access through the "Design" menu item. This is
for game design in terms of the data, however. To change the rules you have
to hack the game file. If you want to build a graphic interface for this
(GDL programming) you are certainly up for a major task. But I guess it
could be done.

If you want something everybody (Mac, Unix, Windows) can run, you should
use tcltk, or looking ahead, sdl. The x11 interface only runs on Unix with
x11. There are some x11 emulators for Mac and Windows, but I have not
tested the x11 interface on any of them. Anyway, this interface is obsolete.

The hacking manual (and the other manuals as well) is obsolete. Its
excellent for the stuff it covers, but lots of stuff is missing.