Re: setting up standing orders question...

>BTW is there in the meantime a possibility to enhance the standard game
>to allow time and war driven growth of cities? means if a base has
>survived 50 cycles and there weren't any combats around it grows to a
>town etc.... ? because, erm an actual tactic : build 4-5 battleships and
>flatten all coastal cities of the others, this has such a hughe impact
>on their production that once they are 2-3 cities behind they have
>nearly automaticly lost.... and flattening cities with such a fleet goes
>realy fast....

One could of course make the cities growing advanced units, like in the
advances game. This would be a pretty radical change to the standard game,
though. Not sure that everybody would appreciate it.

>uhm and a UI for writing games? :D dumb people like me have problems
>with the description language (not enough verbose, too cryptic -> i am
>    one who likes java ;)

The designer UI is actually pretty good both on the Mac and under tcltk. Of
course, it deals only with the map and units. Writing a UI for programming
in GDL would be a huge task. Somebody on this list said he would give it a
try last year, but nothing came out of it.

>building up the ressupply lines by hand would be a mild horror for me :D
>especially since the path finding algorithm isn't allways the best
>(wrong routes, still inefficient use of roads, different paths between
> units making the same trip etc...)

Yeah, the path funding algorithm could definitely be better. As already
discussed on this list many times. I wish somebody would actually give it a
try. I think this task, unlike writing a new programming UI, is doable.

>now if those mechanisms were a bit smarter, that would be even better :D
>in my wishlist:
>
>- thresholds in test means num of occupants > < >= =< == a num,
>- combinable tests
>- some macros (occupants, full, empty etc...)
>- to be able to write/manipulate in the same way the unit plans :i
>usually spread some units for protection in an arc around my cities,
>  since the occupants might suddenly vanish when the opponent has luck,
>  but i want those stacks to remain at same force, so if a stack is
>  aggressed, and looses units, the city behind should be notified to
>  produce as next a replacement unit and to send it to this given
>  stack.... don't know if that was clear :D
>
>  on the same line, if it was possible to rewrite the standing orders on
>  given situations... making e.g. if the count of cells x-z < threshold,
>  call all outside stacks into the city?
>
>  and last thing to this point : to be able to specify an auto-resupply
>  point per unit... go resupply and come back to continue its task..

Seems like you really want an AI rather than standing orders to run some of
your units : ).

 Actually, this is quite possible. If you turn on the mplayer, you can have
it run certain units and still run some units yourself (by toggling AI
control off in the More menu). Perhaps you should try this?

>- beeing able to load and save separately the sets of doctrines/types of
>plans and standing orders...

Or just make it possible to set doctrines in the player setup dialog.