Re: Availability of Xconq

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Andreas Bringedal wrote:

> I don't quite understand the argument about not wanting to advertize
> unfinished xconq versions.

I wasn't aware such an argument was being made.
The home page of the Xconq Web site says:
"The latest released version is 7.4.1. Development is proceeding on 7.5.
Xconq is free software licensed under the GPL, and full sources are
available for downloading. Xconq is also a very large and open-ended
project, with lots to do; if you're an artist, game designer, play-tester
or programmer, and want to help Xconq reach its full potential, we'd love
to have you join in!"

And it offers links to both WebCVS so that you can browse the ChangeLog and
see how development is progressing, and to a Downloads page (for 7.4.1).

> seem like that much work? At least the if you limit it to the most used
> computer systems, like one for Unix, one for Windows, one for Linux or some
> such.  Only the newest functioning version for each system is needed even if
> that is only Xconq 5 for windows like I use.

Check out Hans' download page for the Windows binaries:
http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/

Something to bear in mind is that, as far as I know, every contributing
XConq developer, myself included, has a full-time job. This somewhat
restricts what activities we can regularly carry out on behalf of this
"hobby" of ours.

If there is sufficient interest, I will look into putting automated nightly
or weekly builds of Xconq up for FTP or Web access somewhere.

As far as installation goes, pre-built Xconq packages could benefit from an
installer program. In the case of Linux, there is an RPM spec file (which
may need to be updated) from which an RPM should be able to be constructed.
In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?