Re: Build system overhaul

Guten tag Juergen,

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Juergen Ruehle wrote:

> Would we have separate targets for these in kernel/Makefile or do we
> completely parameterize the build and pass in the flags and the target
> names from the calling Makefile? Are there more options?

I have not thoroughly investigated the matter, but I am thinking
about making separate targets so that we can take advantage of
make's ability to see if a target is "up to date". Otherwise, we
must include a "[ -f libconq_mw32.a ]" test in the target commands
or be forced to rebuild the lib every time the target gets
invoked. But, I also think it would be wise to supply the make
flags from the invoking makefile (i.e., the one in the sdl dir)
even in the case of separate targets. This would reduce the
number of alternate flag configurations that would have to be
maintained in various makefiles.

> solution seems much simpler to implement. But obviously it's up to
> whoever implements this (which probably wont be me:-)

In that case, it will probably be me. ;-)

  Regards,