Re: tk-xconq font sizes

On 2003.09.19 12:44 Eric McDonald wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Thomas J. Moore wrote:
>    Thomas J. Moore, Hacker/SysAdmin | TV & video games have destroyed my
mind

Well, if you want to turn off the TV for awhile and put your
"Hacker/SysAdmin" skills to work, you might be able to fix this
yourself and then submit a patch. The reward: a warm, glowing
feeling knowing that you gave something back to the OpenSource
community.... :-)

Um, well, I suppose I could.. it has been years since I did any programming for the "open source" community; that way I can resume letting the video games suck the life out of me. The quick fix I already stated in my first message, which works fine for me: set all the hard-coded sizes to negative numbers (I didn't do it for the mac/windows-specific numbers). I just searched for -size in the .tcl file and added a - in front of any literal number. However, this isn't necessarily the correct answer. That's part of why I posted my query to the list before looking into it further. My questions would be:

1) For the simplest solution (using pixel sizes instead of point sizes),
what size should they really be? Just turning them negative assumes 72 dpi,
which is probably reasonable since X and Windows both seem to default to 72
advertised dpi. On the other hand, 100 and 108 seem common as well, implying
a 30-40 percent increase in the magnitude in addition to making them negative. Plus why the hell does tk on my system substitute nimbus for helvetica when I have a perfectly good helvetica? tk is weird that way.

2)  For the preference solution:  What preferences should there be, and what
preferences should just be scaled up/down from given preferences?  Having too
many font choices in the GUI config dialog can be kind of silly, but I could
see manual editing or some such.

3)  For the GUI-fits-font solution:  I've (in my job) gotten in trouble
before where people for some reason really hate certain types of GUI
resizes.  I don't really know what the right thing is here.  Also, the images
will not auto-rescale along with the font, so maybe it would be odd seeing a
tiny pixmap next to a huge bit of text, especially if the GUI is somehow
gridlocked to the images.

Thomas J. Moore, Hacker/SysAdmin | TV & video games have destroyed my mind
inet: dark@mama.indstate.edu | unix ada asm c/c++ mcu ee amiga tired