Re: Win9x support (was RE: 7.5 release? - How you can help)

 --- Charles Goodwin <charlie@xwt.org> skrev:
> If support for Windows 95 and Windows 98 is what holds back the 7.5
> release and there is nobody stepping forward to fix the problem, why not
> release 7.5 without support for these two OSes.

As I'm Having Win ME running on my home machine I would find it a little sad if Win9x were
"abandoned" by Xconq.  But on the other hand, I don't have time to fix the problem :-<.  OTOH, it
would be a pity if 7.5 were delayed further...

> If people still want to play Xconq on Win9x then they can just 7.4 for
> the time being.

I've run Xconq 7.4 on a Win98 box and I'm convinced that the problems are present in that version
too.  I could start Xconq one (1) time per Windows session, then it would fail to start.  Yes, I
rebooted the machine everytime I wanted to play a new Xconq game (or even restart Xconq).
Actually, if I happened to start Win98 and then started and closed Netscape then Xconq 7.4 refused
to start.

So 7.4 is not much of an alternative, as I assume it pretty much already suffers from this GDI
resource problem. (The issue just becomes much more obvious in 7.5beta)

> If there is enough momentum for them, somebody will provide a fix or
> request the fix and this can be a 7.5.x release.  If nobody complains,
> then nobody minds.

I'll mind but maybe not complain (this is a meritocracy after all and I haven't contributed with
much... :-)

> Be pragmatic.  I'd wager that most Xconq players know what they're doing
> with computers on a level basic enough that they would not be satisfied
> with using Win9x as their standard OS.  Don't hold back the 7.5 release
> because of it, when the support can be added at a later date anyway.

Um, my home PC got WinME installed on it when I got it and doing an upgrade to WinXP (or whatever
MS offers) is both expensive and also not trivial in general (will my kids' games work on the new
OS, how do I backup our "user data" prior to wiping out the FS and other issues etc).  Simply put,
I work in the IT business and I'm pretty much fed up on administrating PCs, I don't like to be a
PC admin at home (try to keep it at a minimum).

The box runs pretty fine for what we use it for at home, in spite of running WinME.  It's just
Xconq which have problems.

(But I do have a Linux laptop in a corner... 7.5 would work on that one. ;->  And if Xconq could
be made to work with WinME as well... then I could have networked Xconq games, at my home!!  Yes!!
:-)

> - Charlie

Oh, what about the SDL user interface?  Will that one have issues on Win9x?  (I know, it's
unfinished work).

Best regards

/IlvJa

=====