The gory Xconq kernel

From: Hans Ronne [mailto:hronne@comhem.se]

> And the kernel is of course written in C. If you want to
> write entirely new
> games you would therefore in the end have to get your hands
> dirty with C.
> Either that or rewrite the kernel in your favourite language
> (Python?). If
> you want to give it a try, you are welcome to do so,

I have no interest in rewriting the entire Xconq kernel.  That kind of
project is what I call a Complete Waste Of Time.  If you can't
incrementally modify it, better to write a new game from scratch!

> but be warned: others
> have tried before. The most serious attempt so far was made by Ed
> Oskiewicz. He made sure Xconq would build under C++ (and
> still maintain
> compatibility with plain C). However, it is a big leap from there to
> actually transform the kernel into object oriented code. And
> it is a leap that cannot be taken in small steps.

That last sentence is rather disturbing.  Are you saying that no matter
what one's skill level, the Xconq kernel is such spaghetti that modules
of it simply cannot be untangled?  I can see myself doing Python in
kernel, for bits and pieces here and there, as I think of a feature I
want / need.  Particularly for AI stuff.  Are you saying this ain't
likely to be feasible in practice?

Caveat: I have yet to attempt to understand the Xconq source code or
read any docs about it.  Getting it to even build on Windoze was the 1st
priority, and I still don't have a working build.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.