Re: unfair starting positions

"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote :

> I'm realizing this is very unlike the Civ drill, where you actually
> build your own empire and can vouch for its quality to some degree.
> So... is standard Xconq a representative sample of starting position
> problems?  Or has some other game package solved these issues?
> Regardless, what are people's thoughts about these issues?

A game was designed, twelve years ago, in my school, with quite
good results on starting position. It was very close to standard
game, but :

-- capitals were much more powerful than cities, and you had
several capitals at the beginning.

-- you started with may other units, particularly troop
   transport (both sea and air transport)

-- the presence of ships in your starting unit set, and a reduce
size for the starting countries leaded the program to place your
capitals near the sea.

-- A patch was added to forbidd any capital or independant town
in contiguity with another capital or town.

-- some units were added, some modified :
    -- katalina, an airkraft which transport infantry, with a
        wide range (30/40 hex).
    -- torpedo which sinks ships.
    -- bomber were now just able to bomb land units, and with
        lower efficacity, ships and transport the bomb but not
        infantry.
    -- cruiser was splitted into a cruiser and a battleship,
        Battleships were better against land units (particularly
        against coastal cities) but easily sunk by subs and very
        expensive.

That was a great game.

Except the patch, all ideas given here are easy to implement
back to Xconq. The first three points, plus katalina, give
a much better balance in starting position.

a+
  manu