Re: Xconq Packaging (was Re: Major improvement to the Xconq kernel)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Eric McDonald wrote:

> Hi Chris ("Skeezics"),

There's a long story behind that pseudonym.  But anyway...

> IIRC, you also mentioned things about not liking some of the
> datadir, etc... choices in the makefile templates. I changed some
> of that a while back ago; happier now?

Like the team of intrepid Xconq developers, I've been insanely busy at
work and life and other things, but I do actively lurk on the list and try
to keep up with changes.  I saw that those patches get posted but haven't
tried them out - I'll do that as soon as I get a chance.  Thanks!

> > native packaging tools... I *hate* the stupid /opt thing,
>
> You too? :-)

Yeah, I guess there were some old SunOS4/BSDisms that I just couldn't give
up.  Took me a long time before Solaris didn't make me feel like bashing
my head on things all the time.  But I still stubbornly resist /opt at
every turn. :-]

> > Here's the bogus one:
>
> I'll take a look if I get a chance. Maybe Hans or someone else
> will immediately see what the problem was....

Not a big priority, obviously, unless it's an easy thing to fix.  Right
now I just tear off the View menu, click on the four options I generally
set, then get into the game.  It'd be nice to have those things saved in
prefs.xcq, but it's really not a big deal now that I've figured out what
was causing the crashes.  I do find it very strange, though, that the game
would go for several turns before crashing, though.  I'm hoping this isn't
one of those things that looks so seemingly innocuous and turns out to
have nasty, horrible repercussions. :-)

I'm much more interested in some of the latest changes building toward the
new release.  The improved path-finding code and some other recent fixes
sound like they'll make the basic games a bit more challenging, and while
I like being 124 and 0 against the AIs it would be interesting actually
lose a game, once.  To see what that's like. :-)

Cheers,

-- Chris