Re: Marketing Xconq?

There is a new Windows build/install document called INSTALL-win.txt.

I'll have to check this out.

>Simple patch downloads to supplement the full install
> should also be considered.
Hmmm.... Maybe. I'll have to look at what the largest files are
and how frequently they end up being changed. I'll think about it.

Some (many?) potential Xconq players will want an update process to be as simple as possible.

> I've tried the recent download and it works somewhat, but there are still
> bugs and graphics problems.
Bugs in the installer or Xconq?

The install works fine. Several of the scenarios I tried opened OK but I didn't get into playing them. I wanted to pull up the old game I was working on about 2 years ago but had problems editting a couple of the .dir files which seemed to screw everything up. img.dir wasn't loading right, and wouldn't load right for any of the other scenarios either until I reinstalled xconq. Simple cut&paste didn't work, and even deleting my additions didn't fix the problem. So I was doing something wrong and whatever it was affected the graphics also. It isn't fair for me to say the bugs were with xconq itself, but I hit an obstacle regardless and decides to terminate.

Similarly, I think Xconq could benefit from a reinforcements
model, where forces simply appear at certain turns. However, like
other ideas, I think most of these should wait until after 7.5 is
released.

I agree. Get a polished 7.5 out on the street, hopefully with some updated documentation, and then proceed with major enhancements.

FYI, I got into xconq about 2 years ago and tried to create a game based on Avalon Hill's Advanced Third Reich. I got a beautiful map to work out, manually editted all the unit images to get counters and colors right, and managed to get some things to work OK. But the combat models do not work for this type of game. And unless you set up a 1942 scenario where everyone is already at war, there is no way to have neutral countries inactive until some event brings them into the war. These were serious showstoppers for me and I moved on to other things, primarily Strategic Command by Battlefront which came out about the same time I was getting discouraged with xconq. Now the neat thing about Strategic Command is that it is ideally suited for an xconq-style game, where multiple sides are all active on a random map. That would be cool, and I'm interested in working on that one of these days. Once everything settles down and 7.5 gets released. :)

Bill

Compare high-speed Internet plans, starting at $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)