Re: Xconq UI thoughts

> > 5. Players hate to type; they would rather roll around a
> > bunch of buttons
> > and popups than hit a single key on the keyboard.
>
> I agree.

I strongly disagree.  If there is a paranthesis in the menu which tells you
what keys to press to achieve the same result then those _will_ be used.
'm' for map being one of the most used ones.  F9, F11 for quickload/save are
also very handy. Ctrl-S Ctrl-L for regular save/load. 's' for sentry/sleep,
'b' for build, 'f' for fortify, 'w' for wake are also common to most
players, especially for Civ players.

The problem is when you have to search through documentation to find the
keys.  When you have the relevant key binding listed in paranthesis behind
the relevant popdown menu choice you automatically learn it and use it.
Another important thing is to use the standard key binding used most
commonly in other games.  Having different key bindings for each game you
play makes it harder to learn and therefore harder to use.

However a permanent menu choice like in Panzer general where you have a row
of choices along one side of the screen is easier than key bindings and far
easier than popdown menues.  Panzer General's good menu system, pleasant
game coulors, and easily surveyable map/units is half it's reason for
success. (The other half being a good game/combat system)

Andreas