Re: Release philosophy (was: Re: Miscellaneous Things)

Hi Hans et al.,

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> has a good point, however, in that more snapshots/release candidates are
> needed in the final phase before a release. I think Eric's Windows
> Installers and rpm packages can do this job, but they could perhaps be more
> frequent.

I agree about the frequency. I have been waffling back and forth
about whether to wait for the rest of the path-related changes,
but since that might be awhile, I am hoping to release tonight or
else tomorrow. Since the last release, we have at least two major
improvements: your fixes of the module loading code and a new
version of the pathing code (with desync fix :-). I am hoping to
get Unix and Windows file naming over to the new nomenclature
which we agreed upon. I have this mostly done; just need to test
and to figure out how I want to handle old prefs files. Also, I
guess we have a bunch of new game modules that people might want
to play (thanks Lincoln and Elijah)....

I probably should have released after you took care of that module

Wrt to RPM's: I think I am going to split xconq.spec into
xconq.spec and xconq_cvs.spec (or xconq-cvs.spec, whatever the
generally accepted RPM naming convention is as far as CVS
snapshots are concerned; I have not researched this yet). The
xconq_cvs RPM's would be versioned by date, and the release RPM's
would be versioned by, __well, by version.

Also, I think I am going to release just a plain tarball and/or
zip file of the Xconq files minus any binaries. This may be useful
to some people. Probably means that I should take a look at the
'dist' target in the top-level makefile....

  So much to do, so little time,
  Regards,