Re: Cannot build Xconq on Debian Linux

Hi Tom, Lincoln,

I just checked in some changes which might address your Tcl/Tk
configuration hassles. Please let me know how they work.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Tom Low-Shang wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:35:58PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> >
> > On Debian unstable, the files tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh in
> > /usr/lib/tcl8.2 and /usr/lib/tk8.2 respectively.

Right. And the configuration logic correctly finds those. What it
does (or doesn't do, to put it more accurately) with the contents
of these is/was the problem.

> Since I have used tcl/tk 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4 on debian unstable,
> here is what worked for me.  With 8.2 I always used:
>
> make CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/8.2

Do you mean "-I/usr/include/tcl8.2"?
I hope so. Otherwise things just got even more convoluted.

> 8.3 had similar requirements.  Since 8.4, the arguments are no
> longer needed.  Whether this is due to changes in
> tclConfig.sh/tkConfig.sh or the configure script, I cannot say.

Well if your 8.4 tclConfig.sh/tkConfig.sh files contain
'TCL_INC_DIR' and 'TK_INC_DIR', repsectively, then this was
handled by an enhancement to the configure system. If tclConfig.sh
contains a 'TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC' var, then Debian finally decided to
do something more mainstream....

  Thanks,