Re: New Action: change-type

Hi Hans,

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> acp-dependent case. Except, of course, that the corresponding ai code will
> be more difficult to write.

So. Bring it on. :-)
I'll deal with it.

>This is a problem right now, there are too many
> features in the game that are not supported in the ai.

I hope to change some of that in the future.

> I'm not sure I follow you here. Why would downgrades require multiple
> options? Not that it would be impossible to implement, but I see no
> difference in principle between upgrades and downgrades.

Sorry. I wasn't very clear here, and I realized that after I went
to bed. A downgrade would require one utype field and an upgrade
would require another one. That is where the two came from. But
I will concede that two is lot less than a whole table (unless you
only have one unit type defined).

> I didn't notice you had tried it out. I think the docs are somewhat
> misleading. I believe that is why some game designers have used these
> tables in the wrong way.

I don't believe that I am using them in the wrong way. They are
there to prevent actions from occuring if a minimum amount of
certain materials are not present, but those certain materials
need not be consumed by an action. I believe I do (or did) that
with the Supplies (s) material in Bellum: a unit must have at
least 1 to act, but consumes none by acting. I also include the
consumable supplies for the previously mentioned
reason/superstition that actions could still take place even if
not enough of the consumable was present.