Re: occupant combat in standard game

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Peter Garrone wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:11:20PM -0500, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> > The problem is more a case of if I make a surprise attack, the AI
> > doesn't divert any fighters to where my bombers are.  The AI's
> > fighters either (a) didn't get built in sufficient quantity, or (b)
> > are still off near my home territory, or somewhere other than where I
> > am actually attacking.
>
> This comes from the "compute_damage_ratio" function in plan.c, for the
> standard game. The fighters dont attack the bombers because they have 2
> hp. I have addressed this in my development by factoring in construction
> points as well.

I superceded compute_damage_ratio with
ai_compute_damage_ratio_vs_type several weeks ago. Furthermore,
the victim finder has been heavily restructured in the past month,
and rating of victims is done in a separate set of functions. The
victim rating takes into account the construction point ratios
between the victim seeker and potential victim.

You might wish to carefully merge the past month's development
into your branch, so that we don't have redundant or competing
code.

But, wrt what Jim is seeing, I believe that this is a
strategic/planning level issue and not a tactical issue. If a unit
has an offensive plan, it will generally continue to run the
victim seeker (and so not the larger picture). What probably needs
to happen is that plan_offense and plan_defense need to have some
heuristic which will summarily examine the balances in the
different theaters, and then force a replan (and new goal) for
some (higher mobility?) units. I have been thinking about this
some, but have not yet determined a good way to go about it.