Re: occupant combat in standard game

Hi Hans, others,

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> An easy way to improve the ability of fighters to intercept should be to
> increase the default setting for u_ai_tactical_range. The current value of
> 4 is really too low. I picked it in order to be on the safe side with
> respect to ai performance, but it could probably be boosted to 12 or so
> without too much of a slowdown.

Yeah, 12 might be OK. Probably would be perfectly fine once the
path-caching / network desync stuff is properly addressed.

I'm planning on doing a significant overhaul of Bellum, where the
aircraft tactical ranges are probably set too high, and will
probably reduce those ranges some, because of the computational
burden.

> The theater reassignment code you ask for does exist (review_theaters and
> mplayer_review_units). It is run at the start of each turn, which should be
> sufficient. The code cares more about area control than about attacking
> specific units, though. This is the way the mplayer works, however, for
> better or for worse.

Well, I haven't actually traced through these functions yet (since
I haven't switched focus to AI strategy), but it seems that
mplayer_review_units would not mess with PLAN_OFFENSIVE units
which don't have goals. It does some rebalancing in the case of
exploratory and defensive plans, but apparently not offensive
ones. If this is the case, then plan_offense is going to be
re-executed and call the tactical function, ai_go_after_victim,
quite a bit. (And this seems to be what I actually see when I
watch mplayers....)