Re: Path finding

>> Another thing is that the standard game doesn't make or use
>> transports.  Try setting up a standard game between a few computer
>> players and watch what they do for a few turns.
>
>I suspect this is the #1 reason why the AI has been doing so poorly
>against me lately (this is the standard game).
>
>I'm not sure whether it came on suddenly or gradually, though.  I kind
>of suspect the code which decides what to build isn't building enough
>armor/infantry, and it doesn't matter whether it has transports,
>because they have nothing to transport.  But there could be more than
>one problem.  I can clarify the symptom: xconq from about the year
>2000 would send a flood of full transports in my direction starting at
>turn 30 to 50 or so, which would completely overwhelm me if I wasn't
>very careful.  xconq today will send few if any transports.

That's an interesting observation. I have also that the standard game now
seems to favour building aircraft and naval units, but not enough ground
units. I believe this happened maybe one year ago when there were some
changes to the unit worth functions, in particular exploring_worth. I
remember there was a discussion on the list about that.

Today, if you run the Intro game, at least one of the sides usually builds
just bombers, and therefore eventually looses the game.

There is however, a real problem with transportation, since the transport
code is broken right now because of the path-finding.