Re: Windows Resource Limits (was Re: Pathfinding)

On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 20:10, Eric McDonald wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-08 at 19:43, Eric McDonald wrote:
>
> > what comes with stock Windows 95. Bundling a newer version of COMCTL32
> > will probably not help since it likely has dependencies on other newer
> > things (KERNEL32, perhaps).
>
> I should tread a bit more carefully here. I worked for a M$ developer
> with an expensive MSDN subscription for a few years, and I got used to
> bundling replacement M$ components in installers. I will have to reread
> the relevant EULA carefully before even contemplating bundling any of
> their junk with Xconq.

Looks like it is not a problem to bundle.
Microsoft itself provides a COMCTL32 updater and certifies it works for
all releases of Win95. Their license agreement stipulates that, so long
as you own a license to one of their OS's, you can install the updated
components. Furthermore, they encourage redistribution of them.

Anyway, I applied SP1 to Win95 and that did not help the situation
(i.e., comctl32.dll was not updated). I ran their common controls
updater and now Xconq is working just fine on Win95.

So, now I wonder whether I should bundle the component updater with the
Windows installer and increase its size by about 500K uncompressed, or
whether I should just put a note on the downloads Web page telling any
Win95 volk that they need to acquire it and run it before they can use
Xconq. I really doubt that there are too many Win95 users out there;
this was probably a pointless exercise except for the fact that Xconq on
Win95 is my only means of working on the GDI memory problem.
(Incidentally, all the images seem to have loaded with the Bellum test
case I have playing right now, and everything looks normal. What sort of
symptoms am I supposed to be looking for, Hans?)