Re: More Combat Options

>> I've been planning to change the model 0 code so
>> that it can use absolute
>> attack and defend values like the model 1 code
>> instead of this cumbersome
>> hit-chance table. This would make it easier to write
>> new model 0 games and
>> also make it easier to improve the AI (for those
>> games, at least).
>
>I'd rate this as an equal, if not better, solution
>than adding the global to Model 1.  I just want the
>chance to use Attack and Defend values in a one-shot
>manner, a la Model 0.  Would this include the feature
>you use in Third Age to improve a unit's Attack or
>Defend value?

Yes, Those tables would all work in a model 0 game with attack and defend
values.

>What I'd really like to do, though, with regard to the
>Combat Options, is rewrite Specula with Attack and
>Defend values.  I think that would give it a more
>Role-playing feel, which it's supposed to have.  To
>keep requests going, if the old transport combat is
>revamped, then I'll be able to get Cast Iron Life into
>some kind of playable shape.  Jesus, I do a good job
>of writing 3/4 complete games and then making 1000
>requests, don't I?

That's what we have the list for :-). As far as transport code goes, it was
totally defunct for half a year due to the new pathfinding code which was
incompatible with it. We reverted to the old code last week, so
transportation now works again. But the code could certainly be improved.