Re: Xconq issues that I've seen

> Strange. Firing by the AI works fine in the
> Magnuszew game, which is the
> way to test the firing code. So there must be
> something wrong with your
> game. I suggest you compare it to Magnuszew
> carefully and check if
> something differs. Perhaps the enemy units are not
> visible to the AI, or it
> cannot hurt them with fire even if it hits them? In
> either case it will not
> fire.
>
> It would be useful to know what the units you think
> should be firing are
> doing instead (plan and tasks).

I'm not familiar with using plans and tasks, so this
could be the problem.  Is there a plan or task for
units meant to fire?  (I suppose they would resemble
artillery in a generic sense)  Otherwise, there's no
reason for the effect:

-Acceptable targets are visible to the AI, and if you
turn on AI logging, you can see that the AI plans to
attack Air Wings with SAM Networks (SAM Networks are
immobile, so there isn't even a chance that the unit
uses up its ACP on some other task before it fires).
There are similar reports for the carriers and fighter
wings.  Also, with See-All set to true, the behavior
is the same.

-If I order one of these units to fire, it blows the
heck out of its target.  Fighter Wings and Carriers
are very powerful units in the game, capable of
destroying all types of units.  SAM Networks can only
fire on Fighter Wings and Carriers, but when I order
them to do so, it works fine.

-There is a terrain issue with Carriers firing at
targets on land, one that I haven't figured out yet,
but this prevents me from attacking land targets with
Carriers, not just the AI.  The AI, as far as I've
seen, doesn't use the Fire command with these units.

I've noticed that the AI doesn't like to use artillery
in the Modern version of the classic game, maybe this
is similar?  I'll take a look at Magnuszew and see how
things are different.

> Just change the area size. For example:
>
> (area 60 30)
>
> when changed to:
>
> (area 30 30)
>
> will crop the map to the left half of the original
> map.

Thanks.  Is there any way to crop around the center
portion of the map?  Or from the right/top/bottom?