Re: Compiling under Cygwin

Hi Stanley,

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:03, Stanley Sutton wrote:
> I've compiled both the SDL and TCLTK versions.  The SDL version has the
> fewest problems, other than an incomprehensible interface.  The TCLTK
> version doesn't show any text or graphics.  I did have to change tkwin32.c
> slightly, as XLib.h has defined both XSetTile and XFlush to have int return
> arguments rather than void, and XSychronize needed a Display* argument
> rather than a void.  And, of course, the same change was needed in
> imfappwin32.c for SetTile.  Any suggestion?

(If this was a new message (as of 2004/05/20), then your system's date
probably needs to be adjusted since it is showing up as if you sent it
on 2004/05/02, _18 days ago.)

Yes, the SDL interface should compile, but not under Cygwin directly. It
needs to use MinGW32 (either standalone or the subsystem in Cygwin),
last time I checked. If you have found a way to get it to get it to
compile directly under Cygwin (without resorting to "-mno-cygwin" in the
CFLAGS), then we need to talk. This would imply that you found
Cygwin-linked SDL libs somewhere; I doubt these would perform as well as
the native ones, but it is still interesting from the platform support
point of view.

As far as the Tcl/Tk interface is concerned, you mentioned before that
the fake Xlib definitions cause problems when building against the
Cygwin Tcl/Tk package. And I have confirmed this. However, they appear
to be needed when building against the ActiveTcl package. I have some
config and code changes under development (since last week, but I keep
getting distracted by bug reports, etc. :-) that would address this
situation.

I am somewhat loathe to apply the patch you sent me, since it would
break the ActiveTcl build in order to make the Cygwin Tcl/Tk build work.

  Regards,
    Eric

P.S. The Curses interface also builds quite readily under Cygwin.