Re: New game by Elijah Meeks

Korea 2006 (For lack of a better name, I'm open to
suggestions) is meant to be a mix of serious wargame
and fun, grand strategy.  Units are purchased in one
turn, from a pool of points, which is unrealistic on
the part of carriers and other warships, but I think
it makes for better gameplay.  Units are reduced in
effectiveness through combat and can be refitted or
reinforced.  In the base module, everyone has access
to every unit (Except for the skipjet and the pave low
helicopter, which aren't available yet) while in Korea
2006 Japan and the USA have significantly better tech
than the other nations.  There is no tech advancement,
given the time scale of the game, though I plan to
introduce it for later games using this system as well
as the base module.

Known issues:

The AI will not build anything unless it has Modern
Surface tech.  I don't know why but you can see this
by changing the side data for the first entry on
starting tech from '-2' to '0'.

The AI will not reinforce or refit its combat units.
This isn't so bad, because these actions cost points
and, when supply rules are on, render a unit unable to
attack in that round.  It actually proves to be a
legitimate strategy to save all your purchase points
to buy new units and let your combat units die on the
front.  This may change, though, when experience comes
into play.

The AI doesn't deal well with ZOC.  Again, this isn't
so bad, except an AI turn will take longer and rather
than attack a blocking unit, it'll just let the unit
go to reserve.  This is why ZOC is just an option.  I
think the game plays better with ZOC, because stalled
AI units still defend, so it makes the AI more
conservative rather than crippled.

Occasionally the game will hang.  This is bad.  I
don't know why, but when it happens and you jumpt to
design mode, the side on whose turn the game has hung
will have a unit with 1/0 ACP or 7/0 ACP and when you
delete it, the game goes back to normal.  I don't know
why it does this, but fortunately it's rare.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it and I'd love to
hear what people think of it.  I'd especially
appreciate word on any gameplay/design bugs.