RFC: Increment and Decrement (was Re: GDL Notice: ArithmeticOperators / Quasi-Formulae)

Hi Juergen,

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 03:50, Juergen Ruehle wrote:

> Actually I would prefer the (Common) LISP version:

I guess I should have checked to see what Common Lisp did instead of
writing some code first.

>   (1+ 5) => 6
>   (1- 5) => 6

This seems fairly reasonable. However, GDL has dice specs which look
like mmdnn+oo. Doing something like "1+" looks like part of a dice spec.
This is not a problem from the tokenization point of view; it would
require another tokenizer hack, but that is manageable. I am more
concerned about confusion on the part of GDL users.

>   (+ 5) => 5
>   (- 5) => -5

I agree. One of the concerns that was in the back of mind was how to
easily negate a number. I think I will change the behavior of unary "+"
and "-" to what you just suggested.

> This avoids overloading of + and -, but that's just IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.

So, I guess the choices for increment and decrement are:
(inc n) (dec n)
(1+ n) (1- n)

Does anyone have any preferences (aside from those already stated)?

  Regards,