Re: More flexible unit image use

Elijah Meeks wrote:

Very nice. The more images the better. But we must
do something about the
image loading system soon. It's getting overloaded
:-).

I think there should be a serious overhaul of the graphics used by XConq. Some of them are atrocious (I've contributed my fair share with the Spec tiles, and I think they can be removed with no ill will) and some are just a little too outdated. I've been looking around at freeciv and other open-source projects and I think there's enough good, free graphics that we could finally see the end of four monochrome guys with pikes representing infantry.

Hey! That was hot stuff for X10 in 1987! :-) Actually, they're
supposed to be carrying rifles, and they're arranged obliquely so
as to look visually different from other types (my first try was
a rectangular array of six, but it looked like a blob).

Of course, the state of the art now is to animate small models built
out of polygons in 3D. Anybody working on a 3D interface? Thruput
of graphics cards now exceeds vanilla 2D capability, plus you could
do continuous scaling instead of using all the magnification
infrastructure.