Re: Major bug and what to do about it (long)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Hans Ronne wrote:

> >Why? Surely if you were firing at an individual unit, then the
> >chance of another just happening to be in its place coupled with
> >the chance of hitting the substitute unit should be smaller than
> >the hit chance of directly aiming at the substitute unit.
>
> Not at all. I am talking about a fire-into substitute action here,

When we talk about 'fire-into' as it presently stands, it is
really 'fire-at-any'.

>not a
> fire-at action against the unseen unit (which would be impossible by
> definition). So the hit chance should really be the same regardless of
> where the unit is located in the cell.

Only if the other units are seen and we are treating 'fire-into'
as chosing a random target from among the unit views. In the case
where the other units are not seen, then this makes no sense.
Unseen units should be very difficult to hit (unless they have a
very large target cross-section relative to the size of the cell).