Re: Jump lines as roads.

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I don't know of any way to make movement cost less than 1 ACP per cell,
> although I suppose you could give a jump- or warp-equipped ship lots of
> ACP's.  You would then have to counterbalance them in other situations
> by requiring them to spend lots of ACP's on anything other than
> movement.

I did exactly that in a game I was working on.  One problem I found was
that the pathfinding code didn't seem to be smart enough to take full
advantage of the fast routes - resulting in a big advantage for human
players if they were willing to spend the time moving the units a step or
two at a time.  It probably would have worked better if the fast routes
were, or were close to, straight lines.

A similar effect applies to the standard game, too - you're in city A,
there is a road to city B but it winds a little, you tell the unit in city
A to move to B, but it doesn't take the road.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.