Changing the Standard Game

I think the 4 unit per hex limit is a major change,
but I think it'd make for a better game.  I believe,
and maybe I'm in the minority here, in sort of a
French Chef ideal of game design.  That is, looking
good is an important aspect of gameplay.  I'm no
FPS-junkie but I've never played the standard game
because it looked like something I'd never have loaded
on my Commodore 64.  But (Shameless Plug Warning)
after updating the graphics I found it was a fun
little game.  Much quicker than (Shameless Plug
Warning) fine games like Bellum or AWLS.

A four-unit per hex limit, while altering a major
gameplay aspect from the old style, would improve the
visual quality of the game immeasurably, regardless of
whether we believe it would be a pure gameplay
improvement.  For most of the people who pop on here
and post once or twice, this game IS XConq, and I
think it would be a better first impression with
Trident graphics and 4/hex limits.  There's already
one 'Classic' XConq, from ver. 5, so maybe the current
Standard game could become 'Classic pre7.5' on the
game list, and the Trident/4hex would be the new
'Standard Game'.

After all, the players we can expect to look for such
a 'Classic pre7.5' game on the games list are
precisely the players who would want to play it, while
the ones we'd expect to only try out the 'Standard'
game are newbies, hence people less concerned about
its resemblance to the old XConq Standard game and for
whom it's more important that we show what XConq 7.5
can do.  If they get into it, then they're welcome to
start a retro movement and only play the pre7.5 or
even ver5 or only in curses or on LED lights or
punchcard or whatever.

> Diffs to the website are welcome (you can get
> everything from htdocs
> in CVS).  This is easier to fix than a forum,
> because it doesn't
> require installing any new software or anything.

If I changed the website (I reference my one site:
castironlife.sf.net) it would be a sidegrade from
Looks Old to Looks Crappy.  I'm just hoping a
friendly, brilliant, lurking web designer is reading
this...