Re: Standard Game Graphics

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Elijah Meeks wrote:

> agree that it should be a group decision.  The one
> problem, which I believe Jim pointed out and proved
> true, is that it doesn't look so good at the 16
> unit/hex resolution.

Jim brought up a valid point, and I suggested a custom image
family (i.e., one that specifies alternate graphics at lower
resolutions) as a way to deal with it.

> 1.  Make specific imf 4 4 definitions that reference
> the old silhouettes, because they're more recognizable
> at that resolution.

This might work.

> 2.  Set unit limits per hex at four, which is the max
> amount of Trident units in a hex that are still
> recognizable and look decent.

This could severely alter gameplay. I would lean more towards
option 1 than option 2.

> Eric's Occupant Dialog Box Fix is out...  Right,
> Eric?*

We'll see. :-)
I am still getting accustomed to working on the SDL interface, and
building up various tools to help me hack on it more easily. I
haven't yet shifted into high productivity mode with it.

Also, I think I am going to try the unit magnification approach
first, before resorting to a dialog box.

> still think we need a forum.  And a better webpage

Can't argue with that.

> And salaries for game designers.  And

If you can get me a salary to work on Xconq or some derivative
thereof, that would be great. :-)