Re: Feature Request: Advance Prohibits Advance

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:
> If I understand what you're saying, you're suggesting that each side
> should have a finite quantity of a certain material in its treasury, and
> that material can only be used to research one, and no more than one,
> advance. The chosen advance then sets the tone for which other advances
> can be reserached (through the 'advance-needed-to-research' table).

Right.  With some variations, I think that kind of approach can produce
most of the same behaviours as each of the proposed new features, and it
already should work with the existing code.  One way it might fall down
would be if there are a LOT of independent commitments the side may make -
ground or space battles AND opening boiled eggs at the big or the little
end AND less filling or tastes great AND matter or antimatter-based
warheads AND (and so on).  In that case it might end up requiring one new
material type for each choice, which could be a problem.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.