Re: Morale and opinions

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 18:16, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> I attempted to use the 'has-opinions' unit attribute
> but GDL didn't recognize it.  This was some time ago,
> and who knows, there may have been a syntax error, but
> I ended up resorting to a straight revolt-chance for
> my Ogres, Demons, Iblis and other fickle creatures in
> Opal.  If you could get this to work, that'd be great.
>  However, any work on morale would leave, I'd assume,
> to retreating, and keep in mind that the XConq retreat
> still has issues when called in a game that usese ZOC
> rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if opinions, like so many other things, are
described in the documentation but don't exist in the code.

> Also, on an unrelated note, I'd lik to give everyone
> my buggy little arena.g, which is not fun* or very
> functional.  It's meant as a testbed for XConq
> item-like units, but I've had a hell of a time getting
> the protection tables to do what I want, and swords
> keep jumping from owner to owner of their own
> volition.  If anyone gets a chance to look at it, I'm
> specifically  vexxed by the protection, especially
> setting up armor and shield units to absorb some
> blows, thereby representing armor class.

One huge bug I see is that you've set up lighter armor to have a lower
protection value.  As counter-intuitive as it may be, lower numbers
actually mean *greater* protection, so that in this game, a guy with
leather armor and a small shield is pretty much invincible.

The ideal way to handle weapons would be if they had no ACP's and
affected their owner via occupant-affects-attack, but the last time I
checked, that table only works in Combat Model 1.

It might also help if you add a line such as:

(set country-separation-min 20)

That would guarantee each side some time to arm itself before
confronting the other side.

Unfortunately, item-like units are going to remain awkward for the
foreseeable future.

> *Well, there's a certain visceral pleasure in cutting
> down farmers and jesters and hunchbacks, and a rather
> ironic pleasure in that it's called Arena, but there's
> no arena to speak of, but other than that...

Maybe I should post my test module for unit control and see how you
respond to *that* (it involved necromancers and all sorts of twisted
stuff).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent.
		-- George Orwell, "Reflections on Gandhi"