Re: Using terrain coatings and existing code to model topography,weather, and vegetation

mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Andreas Bringedal wrote:

infantry through it and see the attrition skyrocket.  It would be
nifty to have a strenght 5 storm move semirandomly across the map by
spesific scenario design or by a very low random chance.

I think if I wanted to model a hurricane, I might do it by having the
storm be a unit that detonates on every turn but doesn't destroy itself
when it detonates.  Then the detonation effect could cause damage to
nearby units and potentially even modify terrain.  I'm not sure how I'd go
about making it move in a storm-like way, although I think maybe it could
be made to be blown around by the existing "wind" code.

To the best of my knowledge, the wind code acts as an impediment to movement and not a driver for it. But, it would be interesting to extend so that it could be a motivator as well. Some of the restructuring of the ACP computations that I did a while back ago should help in this regard.

I was actually already thinking of something very similar to model Project
Pluto - that's a remote-controlled supersonic airplane powered by an
unshielded fission reactor, so that it kills anything it flies near.  It
was a real-life design (thankfully never built) but used to good advantage
in fiction here:  http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Neat little story. I see the author borrowed from Lovecraft in places.
Of course, one problem I have with nuclear-powered aircraft and spacecraft is the cooling aspect. If you're dumping 60% to 70% of the energy due to the efficiency of your "engine", all that energy has got to go somewhere. But, I digress.... Now that I took the time to read the story, I probably won't be able to get a new Windows installer and source tarball for Xconq ready this evening. Oh well, it was a fun little read.