Re: New Home for Xconq Project?

Eric McDonald wrote:

Hello Xconquerors,

Over the past few months I have had some discussions with various people about whether the Xconq project should be moved to a new host.

It's certainly worth a serious look. The main advantage of the RH sources site is that it's managed by professionals who immediately have people all over them if things stop working; it's the same machine as hosts GCC, and you can imagine the urgency when the GCC sources are no longer available. Many sites with that level of activity wish they only went down twice in a year!

That said, sources.redhat.com has not developed into the visible
site that many people originally imagined for it, and with the
turnover of people I don't think there are any Xconqers left at
Red Hat. So its retention is mostly out of inertia and maybe as a
little bit of a personal favor; not very good protection against
the next corporate shakeup.

I'm not really up-to-date on the alternate hosting options though.
Sourceforge was pretty abysmal when I tried to check out a project
some months ago; most cvs updates simply failed to complete and timed
out. Savannah used to have a problem with its admins disappearing
without telling anybody, dunno if that's gotten better. They also
tend to be more ideological about freeness, although I don't think
that's an issue for any part of Xconq.