Re: Thoughts on terrain imaging

mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

I decided to try implementing these ideas, but I wanted to do it in such a
way that I could test each step and see that it was working before moving
on to the next one, so as a very first step, I wrote a simple game module
which would trigger the "subimage" code, figuring that next I could move
on to making it clip out the subimages in a hex grid instead of the
existing one-dimensional linear offset.  The results are at these URLs:
   http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/temporary/maptest.g
   http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/temporary/override.gif

* It doesn't work in the TCL interface except on the highest
magnification. At other magnifications, the affected cells are just
black. As far as I can tell, for some reason the automatic scale-down
code isn't running. Isn't it supposed to?

Yes, I thought so. I think it does with unit images.

I played around with 'maptest.g' for a little while. If you reduce the image cutout size down to 44x48 and change the subimage selection offsets to 44, then the subimages show up at normal resolution. It does not appear to matter whether the 'terrain' keyword is used or not.

Other thing that I noticed is that the documentation still refers to a 'bigicons' gvar, but this is not to be found in 'keyword.def' or 'gvar'.def', and Xconq warns about it. Guess that needs to be taken out of the documentation (unless we plan on trying to scale 44x44 don to 32x32, etc..., if it is not set).

* It doesn't seem to work in the SDL interface at all - I get a segfault,
see attached backtrace.  I haven't tested this extensively at all, so it's

I looked at your backtrace; I will attempt to track down the problem soon. Unless you take care of it first....