Re: [Xconq-general] Xconq Ranking at Sourceforge

Erik wrote:

When I saw that formula it was obvious to me that it does not weight the data. Since I found that strange I searched for the documentation. And it says: "We are aware that the current formula does not actually weight the data aggregated for rankings (the formula was misdesigned and has not yet been replaced)."

[http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14040&group_id=1]

Well yes, I saw that too; it is the document from which I quoted in my previous message. I wasn't offering a critique on the relative merits or flaws of the existing formula. I was just explaining how it is that we ended up with the ranking we did. I think it would be understandable if another project was a bit annoyed because it had 100 times the downloads but was active in fewer of the areas that logs are taken of. And, as Matthew points out in the next message in this thread, the multiplicative factors inside the logs are the same as adding small constants outside the logs; definitely not a good "weighting" scheme.

Eric

P.S. The Sourceforge expression is actually a bit simplified, since log(0) must be avoided. Thus it is not a pure formula, but some logical selection must be occurring as well. The other thing to note is that projects that have between 1 and 3, inclusive, new downloads per week would seem to be actually penalized in the scoring, unless there is logic that says to apply the downloads calculation for only those projects with 4 or more downloads per week.