Weather tidbit

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Eric McDonald wrote:
> > I think if I wanted to model a hurricane, I might do it by having the
> > storm be a unit that detonates on every turn but doesn't destroy itself

> To the best of my knowledge, the wind code acts as an impediment to
> movement and not a driver for it. But, it would be interesting to extend

Digging through my mail to see what messages from my vacation I could
delete, I found the above very old message and thought of another
game-design idea that seems worth mentioning for the archives:  what could
be done would be to make the "hurricane" unit be controlled by iplayer,
and make it move more or less at random.  I think that could be done by
making it blind and invulnerable, and probably also unable to attack
except with its detonation.  Then I think iplayer will tend to move it
randomly.  If it's also set up so that it only *can* move in the direction
the wind is blowing, then we have a unit that moves where the wind
carries it.
--
Matthew Skala
mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                    Embrace and defend.