RE: XML to HTML using XSL (over SAX}

XSLT intrinsically requires a tree model of the entire document to be
accessible, so it's not well suited to serial processing. The Saxon product
started by implementing a subset of XSLT that could be handled serially
(hence the name - a layer on top of SAX) but the limitations gradually
become too severe and this side of things was abandoned (though there is a
residual feature called "saxon:preview" that enables the document to be
processed in bite-sized chunks).

The subject of serial transformations does come up from time to time, my
feeling is it can't be done with a pure subset of XSLT as it is today: the
inability to navigate around the document means you need much richer
capability to remember what you've seen as it came past.

Mike Kay