using msxml.dll's xslt with c++

I've been working for some time now trying to do something I originally
thought would be very simple:  I'm trying to programatically combine an
XML document with an XSL stylesheet, to form another document (in this
case just HTML), using msxml.dll.  For software engineering reasons, it
seemed desireable to do this in c++...

I'm able to do the simple transformation -- merge an XML document with a
XSL stylesheet, but the problems start when I start using entity
references in the XML document.  As soon as I include an entity
reference (just a reference to another system file), the transformation
result file is nearly blank.  Yet the same XML/XSL file combinations
loads and displays correctly in IE5.

Is anyone else doing this?  It seems like this would be a *very* common
thing to do -- in fact, I expected to easily find example code on the
web, but almost no example code exists for this sort of thing in C++.
If anyone has any example code or suggestions (besides what's on
Microsoft's web site), I'd be very interested.

Using MSXML.DLL version 5.00.2919.6303 and
MS Visual C++ 6.0

--Ryan