Re: XSL Theory

The restrictions on no side effects and the one way (input to output
transform) nature of XSL should make this a much easier problem than the
general problem of proving the correctness of computer programs.

From: "Kay Michael" <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
> I suspect if you take the problem the other way round, and try to prove
> incorrectness, you will make a lot more progress. I would think there are
> large number of cases where, given a schema to which the source document

A useful subset of the proof would be to simply prove that a given
stylesheet's output always conforms to a schema.
Is it possible to write a program that could analyze a stylesheet and figure
out it's output schema?

I've always thought that a much more efficient XSL transformation engine
could be written that requires a schema for it's input and output documents.
There are many times I trigger a pattern match when I already know there is
a single choice. If the XSL engine had the schemas to work with it could
optimize out the unnecessary pattern match.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@mediaone.net