Re: MSXML abominations happening for a reason (was Re: MSXML...released)

Seth Ladd wrote:

> Until web designers or web engineers understand the benefits of
> creating a decoupled solution with XML/XSLT they won't clamor for fully
> functional tools.  Sure, the MSXML thing is terrible, but is anyone going
> to use it anyway?  Maybe Microsoft's job shouldn't just be to release
> fully comformant tools, but to also educate and promote the new
> technologies?

Personally I'm so far down that track I've written rants about it and
curse the coder any time I see a single HTML tag buried in real code.
ASP is of course the worst for this, but I haven't seen PERL or even
servlets behaving any better in general.

BUT when it comes to getting results, the MS object is by far the
easiest. I've installed Cocoon, XML::DOM, JParse ... plus n other hacks.
Then I had to wade through trial & error to get any result, then I had
to get my head around servlet zones, threads, implimentations,
namespaces, WC3 Transformation declarations etc etc etc.
I blamed myself for mucking the syntax for hours until I found that a
certain call in the WC3 Rec (which I've now read fully several times)
wasn't actually supported by the parser I was using... Arrg.

With IE5 it's install & go. Take an example & modify it, stop worrying
about the implimentation & get on with fine tuning the CONTENT.
The server-side asp object is just as easy if not more so to impliment,
and produces browser-safe XML-based pages.

While I'd love to push for standards all the way, I reckon that there
(currently) is as much discrepancy out there between any of the
competing parsers as there is between th MS one and <Your favorite here>

I fear propriatary extension as much as anyone, but will they actually
get USED unless there was a need for them in the first place?
It works. Don't knock it.

.dan. (Actually a dedicated PERL hacker, definately not affiliated with
M$)

--
: Dan Morrison       : The Web Limited    :