Microsoft XSL and Conformance

Hi all,

I'm Andy Kimball, the Microsoft XSL developer.  After today's "nested
template abomination" discussion, I had a couple of comments.  First,
Microsoft is committed to delivering a conformant XSLT processor.  If you
don't believe "Microsoft", then at least believe me.  I'm writing the thing.
I've often gritted my teeth and implemented some feature that I thought was
inelegant, less than useful, or arbitrarily limited, just to be compliant.
As I receive feedback from the XSL community, I've been surprised at how
vocal and passionate people are about conformance (of course, people also
want performance, scalability, and usability without any trade-offs, and
they want it yesterday--unrealistic, but understandable).  Now, I may not be
able to cross every tiny 't', and dot every insignificant 'i', but I will
make a good-faith effort to implement according to the 1.0 spec.  If you
find conformance problems that concern you, feel free to e-mail me at
akimball@microsoft.com.

~Andy Kimball