Re: XHTML to HTML 4

> I've got an xhtml document similar to this fragment:

Namespaces are inherited by element descendants; it shouldn't be necessary
to use the prefix all the way down, although total disambiguation
of element types isn't harmful.

> I need to convert this document to HTML 4

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
> 	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>     	xmlns:html='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'
> 	exclude-result-prefixes="html"
> 	>

don't forget version="1.0"

("An xsl:stylesheet element must have a version attribute", the spec says.)

>     <xsl:output method="text" />

Does your XSL processor support the "html" output method? They all do, as
far as I know. I would use <xsl:output method="html" /> and let the
processor do the dirty work. That's what this method is for!

All you have to do then in your stylesheet is make a copy of the source
tree. You could use the identity transformation from the xsl:copy example
in the spec.

-Mike