Re: XSL FO conformance

Sebastian,

I am a bit puzzled by your words. You started this thread by asking
(http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg10922.html)

---
why is <table-footer> extended, but
not the other?
---

and later you said (http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/archive/msg11328.html)

---
XSL is targetting the sad tired old world of word-processing software?
god help us....
---

Now you say:

---
crippling a system designed for the future
---

But if you read the conformance section of the working draft
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice8.html#section-N54274-Conformance)
you will see that "basic" is intended for applications that need to
support a minimum level of pagination while "extended" is intended
for applications "whose goal is to provide sophisticated pagination."
It's just a matter of what is or might be your application's goal
and or capabilities.

I am not sure why you would consider that the various levels of conformance
cripple the system, or target a specific set of software. The differenciation
between table-header and table-footer that you point out is based on
the acknowledgment that existing implementations (albeit not of XSL ;-) *do*
make a differenciation between one and the other, and therefore future
implementations might also want to make this distinction.

While it is not beyond the realm of the possible that the XSL WG has made
mistakes, I think this is not one of them.

If you still think it is a mistake, send your comments to xsl-editors@w3.org,
I'm sure they will be listened to.

Thanks

Eduardo
(speaking for myself, not the XSL WG)

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Marcus Carr writes:
>
>  > You will need help if you plan to ignore legacy documents and current
>  > practice. It's kind of a pragmatism thing...
>
> My "current practice" has included not using a word-processor since
> 1987; and I can still format the documents I wrote in the mid
> 80s. Thats what I call pragmatic, not crippling a system designed for
> the future :-}
>
> Sebastian

Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo@eng.Sun.COM
XML Technology Center          |         Phone:  (650) 786-5498
Sun Microsystems Inc.          |         fax:    (650) 786-5727