rookie questions - Try 2

Hopefully this doesn't get sent twice - my apologies if it does.

I am new to XSL and have inherited some style sheets created by an
individual who no longer works with me.  There is a style sheet displays the
following

<search criteria>  <input field>
<search criteria>  <input field>
<search criteria>  <input field>

There are 10-30 criteria for each search.  I wish to modify the input form
to display as follows:

Currently each time it loops through the results a </TR> is inserted to end
the row in a html table.  How would I modify the style sheet to insert that
tag every other time it loops through?  Variables appear to be static so I
can't increment a counter and divide by 2, or can I?

A similar problem/solution would be having a different color background for
every other row of a report.

Also, is it common to have html generated by the XSL parser to look
different in Netscape and IE?  I am getting pages in IE that have 6 inches
of whitespace before anything else and looking at the HTML there doesn't
seem to be a reason for this.

Thanks in advance.