INCLUDE/IGNORE conditional declarations and XSL

Folks,

I have xml documents whose special characters (Latin-1 Supplement and a
few from IPA sections of the Unicode charts) are declared as entities in
the DTD. I would like to be able to offer people the option of using the
Unicode encoding with their browsers and a Unicode font in order to see
the appropriate glyphs, or to output a transliteration using Latin-1
characters if they don't have the appropriate browser configuration. One
way to achieve dual rendering is to use the conditional INCLUDE/IGNORE
strategy, with parameter entities for the two sets of entity declarations
(unicode ON or OFF, so to speak). Is there a way to do this in such a way
that the INCLUDE/IGNORE "switch" is dynamically set? Can XSL help? I am
trying to avoid having two sets of xml files.

Thank you,

Bruce Rosenstock
University of California, Davis