Re: general purpose tranformation language (Re: No side effectsholycow. )

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:

> > That means when somebody is saying that "I'm producing XSLT
> > stylesheet out of some other XSLT stylesheet, and I feel happy
> > ( or  I'm producing my Java code out of some other Java code )"
> > the only thing I can say is:
> > "You are good hacker. You are good in writing viruses. So what?"
>
> One reason why you might want to do that is multi-lingual stylesheets.

BTW - I have spend a long time ( 1+ year ) working for the startup
that is specialized in writing localization software.  ( I mean that
I know what is 'segment' , 'translation memory', TMX,  and stuff
like that ).

> I have XML data that I would like to be processed by stylesheets that
> are similar but has some differences in headings and links.

Could you please explain what do you mean by 'some differences' ?

When localizing some document we can say that  there is 2 kinds
of changes:

1. Changing the content ( translating it ;-)
2. Changing the layout ( for example, because words
have different leght in different languages ).

Do I understand right that you are talking about (2) ?
( If you are talking about (1) - the way you are doing it
looks suspicious to me and I can explain why.).

> So I want:
> hierarchy.xsl - my 'MASTER' language independent stylesheet.
> create_languages.xsl - which is applied to hierarchy.xsl (and others) to
> create:
>
> hierarchy.EN.xsl
> hierarchy.DE.xsl
> hierarchy.FR.xsl
> hierarchy.NL.xsl
> etc. ad nauseum.
>
> So good reasons where my 'code' is 'data'.

Are you sure you can not do the same, using

hierarhy.xml

instead of

hierarhy.xsl ?

( That was my point. And this invariant is always possible.)

Rgds.Paul.