Using XSLT for multi-lingual transforms (was: Re: general purposetranformation language)

List gurus please advise if this discussion is off-topic, will be moved
elsewhere if so.

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:
> BTW - I have spend a long time ( 1+ year ) working for the startup
> that is specialized in writing localization software.  ( I mean that
> I know what is 'segment' , 'translation memory', TMX,  and stuff
> like that ).

I have never worked for the translation startup and I don't have a clue
what those things are... ;-) Any Tips & Enlightenment welcome!

---8<---
> Could you please explain what do you mean by 'some differences' ?

The stylesheets are used for presentation (or the user interface, in
my HTML). They contain headings, explanatory text and links to the
relevant CGI's to fetch the data. So they have small differences in the
links and headings but are otherwise almost exactly the same.

---8<---
> 1. Changing the content ( translating it ;-)
> 2. Changing the layout ( for example, because words
> have different leght in different languages ).
>
> Do I understand right that you are talking about (2) ?
> ( If you are talking about (1) - the way you are doing it
> looks suspicious to me and I can explain why.).

Point 1 is handled by the XML server, the XML is generated dynamically so
there are no 'documents' in a file sense, just XML snippets.
But to be able to say _which_ XML snippets you want, need to be specified
in the XSL when the links are generated.
The single XSL file that I want to be maintained is for consistency (and
laziness in typing multiple things that are almost the same reasons)

For an example of what I mean, see http://www.iconclass.nl/x.html and
click on the little German flag on the toolbar.
Please note this is an experimental site at this time, not really releases
to the public and things may be broken. Be warned.

Cheers

Etienne Posthumus
- http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/etienne.html -