two column list using FOs?

Hello,

Could someone please help me with the XSL code needed for the
following example?

Using FOs, I would like to lay out a list into 2 columns so that half
the list items are in the first column and the remaining are in the
second column.  Moreover, this should work for an arbitrary number of
list items.  What is a direct way of coding this in XSL to produce
FOs?

Sample document:
---

<DOC>
<TITLE> Sample Document </TITLE>
<P> A two column list </P>
<OL>
  <LI> showing </LI>
  <LI> the N list items in two columns </LI>
  <LI> so that the first column has </LI>
  <LI> N divided by 2 items </LI>
  <LI> and the other column </LI>
  <LI> has the remaining items. </LI>
</OL>
</DOC>

Sample output:
------

A two column list

  1. showing                     4. N divided by 2 items
  2. the N list items in two     5. and the other column
     columns                     6. has the remaining items.
  3. so that the first column
     has

The width of the columns is not important as long as it can be
specified.

Many thanks.