Re: is XT validating?

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> Part of the problem here is that a lot of people seem not to realize
> that an XML parser and an XSLT engine are two different things. XML
> parsers have no awareness of XSLT at all, while XSLT engines use XML
> parsers to read source documents and stylesheets.

I thought I might add my two bits to this thread.

In general, unless you've put integrated your output document DTD
into the XSLT DTD, using a validating parser isn't actually much use
because all of the XSLT processors that I know of use the same parser
to read in both the input documents and the XSLT documents. This
means that they may barf when reading XSLT, which usually has no
<!DOCTYPE> specified.

I generally validate my input documents before I start XSLT processing
(although this may not be possible in some contexts).

--
Warren Hedley